Perhaps the most recognized symptom of breast cancer is a lump or mass in the breast tissue. While many women and men go to the doctor after finding a lump, every one should also be aware of other changes to the breast or nipple that appear abnormal.
Men can also get breast cancer and should be aware of symptoms and should check their breast as well. It is recommended that you check your breast frequently to ensure you can recognize your normal breast tissue from any lumps or masses that may occur. Many find the lump or mass prior to going to the physician.
Keep in mind you must be your own advocate to ensure you get the care you need. Sometime you need someone to advocate for you when you are not informed. When in doubt get a second opinion. It may not be what you want to hear but it could clear up your confusion and give you clarity.
Early warning signs of breast cancer
Symptoms of breast tumors vary from person to person. Some common, early warning signs of breast cancer include:
- Skin changes, such as swelling, redness, or other visible differences in one or both breasts
- An increase in size or change in shape of the breast(s)
- Changes in the appearance of one or both nipples
- Nipple discharge other than breast milk
- General pain in/on any part of the breast
- Lumps or nodes felt on or inside of the breast
Be diligent and take care of yourself. Just keeping you informed.